Austin, Texas

My dad is 78 years old and has the beginnings of dementia. ARS came to the house in Houston and told him he needed a new A/C. They gave him a price of $12,125.00 for a new 3 ton Carrier unit. This price included the furnace and an infinity control thermostat ($517) and a $595 Plenum. That's it.

If you have ever purchased a new A/C you probably know that this is about twice what it should cost. My Dad picked these guys because they had the big ad and he could read the bold print.

We (the "kids") found out about this after the fact. I contacted the company and after way too many phone calls, a request for information not included on the invoice which might as well have been written on a napkin, I got the break-down of what he had actually purchased. I sent a letter to the company saying that this was clearly price gouging and if nothing else completely immoral.

Ultimately, ARS told me that this price was "book value". It appeared to me that the sales rep that was on commission saw a mentally challenged senior citizen and decided to charge him full "book value".

So if you are in the market for a new A/C you might consider the ethics and morals of a company that charges double what almost everyone else in the business does to seniors. Although you might even consider that you too could get the "book price". If so, you are paying too much. Go to anyone else and get a much better deal. Probably 50% less or maybe they will just fix it because it doesn't need to be replaced anyway. Good luck.

Comments

Bluedot of Maryland is part of ARS and servicemen have sales quotas,so service men sell instead of repairs.they have to to keep their jobs. The company requires servicemen attend sales meetings weekly,this makes for poor service and high pressure or improper sales

I guess I should have said in my original complaint above that the Ars my dad used was in Houston. But the corporate office in Tennessee or where ever it was, was of no help as stated above.

you guys are paying way too much for repairs,

I just replaced my fan motor 1/5th HP for $94 and i also replaced my capacitor for $6.50

Just a week ago I had ARS come to the house because the AC was not cooling. I had checked the condenser / compressor and knew the fan was not working.

A Field Supervisor comes to the house and writes a Diagnosis of replaceing a top placed fan & motor. Motor was quoted as $487.00 and installation was $900.00 !!!!!

I called another company and the AC was fixed with a capacitor (not the fann assembly)for $149.00......

PS: we have used ARS for years and just lately they seem to price gouge.

90 days ago they charged me $1,400.00 for a repair. They too quoted a replacement 3 ton AC unit for $14,000.00 !!!!

I agree totally! We had a leak with a toilet and ARS told us it would cost $12,000 to dig under the house and fix it.

We had another plumber come and he was able to fix the problem for $250.00!! We had to call ARS several times because the plumber who came out did not leave the video of the pipes after he scoped the toilet and pipes.

A few months later, we had problems with the toilet - another plumber came out and found that the ARS plumber never resealed our toilet. Would never use them again!