My garbage disposal stopped working. There was a service sticker on it from the company that installed it (it was here when I bought the house), ARS.

I called them out, without doing any due diligence or research. Something I ALWAYS do, but I was in a hurry today so didn't take that step. Completely my fault. Dispatch assured me it would be a free diagnostic service call; and that the tech(s) would quote me on any work that needed doing.

Techs arrived ( a "trainer" and a "trainee") and advised me that it might just be jammed and they could unjam it for $160. And they said if the unjamming didn't fix the problem, that price could be applied to whatever was actually wrong with it. I allowed them to unjam it, and it worked fine. However, the "trainee" insisted on doing a "flood test" to make sure nothing was leaking.

It sounded reasonable enough, so I let him do it. Suddenly, water was leaking from the bottom of the unit. (This has NEVER happened before.) So now the solution was a new unit to be installed. They wanted over $500 for installing a new unit.

So this quickly escalated from a FREE diagnostic visit, to a unjamming visit, to a completely replace the unit visit. I politely as possible said no and paid them for what I figured I DID owe them and asked them to leave. My problem is that they advertise a partnership with Home Depot; where these disposals sell for $90 or so. I get everybody's got to make a living, but almost $500 for installing one of the things?

Get real. I sincerely advise anyone thinking about doing business with this bunch, to think twice. I won't go so far as to say they purposely caused a "leak" in my unit ...

but I think it's a very real possibility. Certainly bait and switch at its worst; and exorbitant prices in my opinion.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Residential Services Garbage Disposal Unit Replacement.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Comments